The MPPE technology is applied in water streams where toxic constituents are present. Therefore the main applications are in
- Offshore Gas/condensate/(F)LNG produced water
- Shale oil/ shale gas produced water
- Industrial waste and process water
- Groundwater Remediation
Basically the MPPE technology removes the toxic content of the water streams and creates a discharge that is Zero Harmful to the environment.
In Onshore (waste-, process-, groundwater) and near shore applications very often additional BOD/COD requirements limits are required by local legislation. In such situations the MPPE technology is combined with a tailor made bio treatment to achieve the total BOD/COD discharge requirements at most competitive costs.
Where ever possible we aim at combining both, waste- and groundwater treatment in one MPPE unit. In real life the toxic hydrocarbons that are present in the waste water are very often also present in the groundwater due to historical spills. In this way the investment into one MPPE unit can be optimized.
Gas/condensate/ (F)LNG produced water
MPPE for Zero Harmful Discharge
MPPE removes dissolved and dispersed toxic hydrocarbons:
- Aliphatic (dispersed oil)
- Aromatic (BTEX)
- Polyaromatics (PAHs)
- NPD (Naphtalenes, Phenanthrenes, Dibenzothiophenes)
- Toxic (Hydrophobic) constituents of field chemicals (e.g. inhibitors)
100% water and hydrocarbon recovery
- Separated hydrocarbons practically pure for (re)use
- No waste stream/sludge formation
Robust and can withstand:
- Salt, methanol, glycols
- Corrosion inhibitors
- Scale inhibitors
- H2S scavengers
- Defoamers etc.
- Dissolved (heavy) metals
Industries: Gas (F)LNG worldwide
MPPE is applied in countries with aware environmental legislations. Currently MPPE units are operating in the North East Atlantic (OSPAR area), Norway, The Netherlands, and Australia.
Clients: Shell, NAM (Shell/Exxon), Total, Statoil, Woodside, INPEX
- Statoil (Shell) Ormen Lange and Statoil Kollsnes (all Norway)
- Woodside PLUTO, Shell FLNG Prelude, Inpex Ichthys (all Australia)
Industrial Waste and Process Water
Removal of total spectrum of non-polar and polar hydrocarbons proven in practice:
- MPPE removes toxic, non-polar, non biodegradable compounds, aromatics, poly aromatics, halogenated, chlorinated, PCBs, THT (TetraHydroTiophene), Dioxins, CS2 etc.
- Folowed by biotreatment removing polar biodegradable compounds
- Optional: UF and/or activated carbon filtration and RO for reuse as process or boiler feed water
- Small footprint
- Upstream integrated operation with remote control
- Scope for adding other waste- and groundwater streams for simultaneous treatment in one MPPE unit
- Reduced sludge formation in biotreatment
- Modular set up for large flows (thousands of m3/h)
Industries: Onshore treatment of offshore natural gas/condensate production, LNG /gas to liquid plants, shale oil/gas produced water onshore, refineries, underground gas storage, chemical, specialty chemical and pharmaceutical (raw) material producers, chemicals/oil storage distribution industry, resin production, electornics industry, rayon/viscose industry
Clients: Gaz de France, Dow Chemical/LBC, Degussa-Hüls/Evonik, Merck Sharp&Dome, Philips, Dupont, Total-Chemicals, Synthexim, Orgasynth, Vermilion, Albemarle
Toxic hydrocarbons in groundwater can be found dissolved in water diffused over the area. At higher concentrations they can be present as DNAPLs (dense non-aqueous-phase liquids) or LNAPLS (light non-aqueous-phase liquids) creating an enduring source of toxic contaminant supply to the water phase
- Ideal for handling a broad range of toxic hydrocarbons (e.g. aromatics, PAHs, chlorinated/halogenated, PCBs, MTBE)
- Able to cope with unexpected higher inlet compositions at no additional costs
- No iron removal needed (anaerobic process)
- Robust, can withstand e.g. Salts, humic acids, surfactants, heavy metals, dissolved/suspended solids, high/low pH etc.
- No sludge formation (as with iron removal andbiotreatment)
- Scope for combination with other ground- and also waste water streams in one unit
- Has been succesfully applied in surfactant and alcohol Enhanced of DNAPLs and LNAPLs (SEAR = Surfactant Enhanced Acquifer Remediation).
Industries: oil & gas, chemical, specialty chemical, pharmaceutical, coatings resins, coal
Clients: Dow Chemical, LBC, Synthexim, German Government, Vermilion, Schering Plough