The market leading AnoxKaldnes™ MBBR (Moving Bed Biofilm Reactor) technology is based on the biofilm principle and is used for biological wastewater treatment. Microorganisms grow on small specially designed plastic carriers that are kept suspended in a reactor.
Solutions based on AnoxKaldnes™ MBBR technology offer numerous benefits, such as robust biofilm, flexible reactor design, easy upgrade of existing plants, easy to operate and control, no sludge return needed in most applications, low load on particle separation stage.
The technology utilizes the advantages of both activated sludge and other biofilm systems (e.g. biofilters, biorotors etc.) without being restrained by their disadvantages.The carriers are designed to provide a large protected surface area for the biofilm to grow and optimal conditions for the bacteria culture when the carriers are suspended in water.
The AnoxKaldnes MBBR solutions are used:
- For new plants, especially those requiring a small footprint and easy operation,
- For BOD/COD and nitrogen removal
- As a high loading system in front of existing biological treatment - roughing reactor
- To increase the amount of nitrifying bacteria in existing activated sludge system using the AnoxKaldnes carrier in a hybrid plant to meet ammonia limits
- To implement post-treatment to existing plants for process improvements