HPD® Technologies Offering
Evaporation and Crystallization Technologies from Veolia
Industry Leading Evaporation and Crystallization Solutions
Veolia has the largest number of successful installations and experience across the widest range of applications for large-scale, industrial evaporation and crystallization equipment. This includes treatment of wastewater for zero liquid discharge as well as industrial crystallization for production of premium crystalline chemicals.
HPD® Evaporation and Crystallation technologies from Veolia, with over 1,200 references in more than 30 countries, have been utilized in most major industrial markets.
The main application for thermal evaporation is separation of a solvent (in most cases, water) from dissolved solids in a solution. This separation often involves concentration of brine and recovery of high-quality water for beneficial reuse. Evaporation is often used when membrane technologies become impractical at higher concentrations of total dissolved solids (TDS).
The type of evaporator used will largely depend on the chemistry of the solution to avoid scaling of heat transfer surfaces. Furthermore, each solution also accounts for available energy sources, efficiency requirements, and qualitative aims for the water reclaimed in the process
Based on the specific application, Veolia offers several equipment technologies for evaporation that include:
- Falling film
- Natural circulation
- Rising film
- Forced circulation
- Enhanced Forced Circulation (turbulence enhancers for highly viscous feed)
Potential evaporator configurations include:
- Mechanical vapor recompression (MVR)
- Multiple-effect evaporation (MEE)
- Multi-stage flash (MSF)
- Thermal vapor recompression (TVR)
A variety of HPD® Crystallization technologies allow production of specialty and premium chemicals as a crystalline product and are also often applied in the treatment of difficult-to-process waste streams.
In wastewater applications, specifically in Zero Liquid Discharge (ZLD) systems, wastewater crystallizers (mixed salt) recover additional water for reuse and generate a crystalline product suitable for landfill disposal.
Veolia offers a full range of crystallizers to suit the requirements of industry including:
- HPD Growth™ crystallizer
- Forced circulation crystallization (mixed salt)
- MBD™ (Modular Bulldozer Design) System – modular forced circulation crystallizer
- PIC™ (draft tube baffle/ DTB) crystallizer
- MSMPR (mixed suspension, mixed particle removal)
- Falling film crystallizers
Fully Integrated Systems
A fully integrated system provides customers with a total solution to satisfy the requirements of each unique project. The expertise and understanding of each element of a total system design allows Veolia to fully optimize the entire process upstream and downstream of the evaporation and crystallization equipment. This total system approach allows guarantees on mechanical, process, and schedules for the entire scope supplied by Veolia.
Each system is designed to fully integrate into the host and provide mechanical, process, and schedule guarantees of the entire installation by Veolia.
Auxiliary system components often provided with an HPD® Evaporation and/or Crystallization system includes
- Vapor compressors
- Heat exchangers
- Scrubbing systems
- Solids handling equipment; drying equipment, centrifuges, filtration
- Pre-treatment and/or post-treatment systems often including integration of Veolia technologies such as RO, clarification, softening, ion exchange, deoiling, biological treatment, filtration, and anaerobic digestion
- Distillation or stripping systems